Ms. Jacqueline Cortez
California School Immunization Law
California Health and Safety Code, Sections 120325-120375:
Under these statutes, children in California are required to receive certain immunizations in order to attend public and private elementary and secondary schools, child care centers, family day care homes, nursery schools, day nurseries, and developmental centers. Schools, child care centers, and family child care homes are required to enforce immunization requirements, maintain immunization records of all children enrolled, and submit reports.
California Code of Regulations Title 17 Division 1, Chapter 4, Subchapter 8.
These regulations specify California school immunization requirements and provide additional clarifications of the law. Also available at www.oal.ca.gov.
New Law (SB 277) Effective in 2016
Governor Brown signed Senate Bill (SB) 277 on June 30, 2015. SB 277 changes immunization requirements for children entering child care or school.
Starting January 1, 2016:
- Parents or guardians of students in any school or child-care facility, whether public or private, will no longer be allowed to submit a personal beliefs exemption to a currently-required vaccine.
- Students will no longer be required to have immunizations for entry if they attend:
- A home-based private school or
- An independent study program with no classroom-based instruction.
However, parents or guardians must continue to provide immunization records for these students to their schools, and schools must continue to maintain and report records of immunizations that have been received for these students.
- The immunization requirements do not prohibit pupils from accessing special education and related services required by their individualized education programs.
- Medical and personal beliefs exemptions will be allowed from any new immunization requirement initiated by CDPH for attendance at school or child care.
- SB 277 FAQ
- Governor’s Signing Message
- Text of SB 277
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)| Spanish
- Vaccine Education Materials for Parents and Providers
- Information on Medical Exemptions
For more information about SB 277, please see http://www.shotsforschool.org/laws/sb277faq/.
For more information about school immunization requirements and resources, please visit the California Department of Health website at www.shotsforschool.org or contact your local health department or county office of education.