Dear Incoming 7th Grade Student/ Parent,
We are looking forward to welcoming your student to Eastlake Middle School in the Fall semester. In the Sweetwater Union High School District, we offer an opportunity to enroll in an accelerated math class in 7th grade. This course is called Compacted Math 7 and the course accelerates/compacts 3 years of math (Integrated Math 7, Integrated Math 8, Integrated Math Course I) into two years.
Students enrolled in Compacted Math will complete the following math sequence in middle school:
- 7th grade – 2 years of math (Math 7 & Math 8) compacted in 1 year
- 8th grade – Integrated Math Course I (first year of high school math)
- Fast pace and rigorous coursework.
How do I know if my child is a good candidate for Compacted Math?
- Strong math and academic skills
- Student motivation to complete math at an accelerated pace
- Strong 5thgrade SBAC/CAASPP scores (Math Performance Bands that Meets standards or Exceeds Standards)
- Strong math grades on 6thgrade report card (Grades that meet or exceed Common Core Math Standards 3 or 4 grades
If you would like your child to be placed in the Compacted Math Course, please complete the following Google Form:
In addition, you may review the California State Standards for mathematics at the following link. https://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/documents/ccssmathstandardaug2013.pdf
If you have any questions regarding the compacted math placement or the transitions to middle school, please contact your middle school counselor. The counseling team contact information is as follows:
Serving Students A – DE:
Jennifer Academia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Serving Students DI – KEMP:
Dalila Espinosa, email@example.com
Serving Students KEN – NO:
Mixim Murchison, firstname.lastname@example.org
Serving Students NU – ROS:
Heather Rindone, email@example.com
Serving Students ROT – Z:
Dr. Luis Lopez, firstname.lastname@example.org